Students at the University of Iceland caused a ripple of concern among the residents of west Reykjavík last Friday, after a chemistry experiment took an unexpected turn.
Concerned members of the Vesturbærinn Facebook page started to question the smell of some sort of gas in the area, with one user replying: “I work at the University of Iceland and we got a mail that there was an experiment going on this weekend that would produce sulphur, but it would be harmless.”
Indeed, as Vísir reports, there was a chemistry experiment underway at the nearby Faculty of Engineering, and the university had notified the fire brigade of their plans. However, things didn’t go quite according to those plans.
“There was a little mishap—a chemical accident—so a fire engine went to the scene to help clean up,” fire brigade chief Guðmundur Guðmundsson said. “A bottle had broken.”
Guðmundur said that, although the smell was strong, it posed no danger to residents. All students involved in the mishap were reported to be safe.
Note: Due to the effect the Coronavirus is having on tourism in Iceland, it’s become increasingly difficult for the Grapevine to survive. If you enjoy our content and want to help the Grapevine’s journalists do things like eat and pay rent, please consider joining our High Five Club.
You can also check out our shop, loaded with books, apparel and other cool merch, that you can buy and have delivered right to your door.
Buy subscriptions, t-shirts and more from our shop right here!