The city of Reykjavík is looking for people who want to rent out the famed Tower, which now sits on Lækjartorg as it did originally in 1907.
Originally built in honor of the arrival of the King of Denmark, the tower has moved around quite a bit in its history. While on Lækjartorg, it sold newspapers, magazines, stamps and candy. After a decade there, it was moved across the street, to the foot of the hill Arnarhól.
Having the tower at this location was apparently a point of controversy, as people argued heatedly about the location in newspaper articles. Nonetheless, the tower sat at the foot of the hill for about 50 years.
The tower did not age well, though. Being made almost entirely of wood and neglected of re-paintings, it quickly fell into a state of disrepair. After decades of erosion from wind and rain, it was eventually moved to the Árbæjarsafn museum, and lay on its side for four years.
In 1977, it was repaired and redone, and moved back to Lækjartorg. There it stood for eleven years, before being inexplicably moved to the miniature park Mæðragarðurinn on Lækjargata. At this location, it was only seen open for business on 17 June, to sell Independence Day souvenirs.
The current mayor, Jón Gnarr, who came of age at a time when the tower had just been moved back to Lækjartorg, decided last August to move the tower back to its original location. It now awaits a new purpose in life. Any interested parties should contact city hall.
(The above photo was taken some time between 1907 and 1918. This and other photos from the tower’s life can be seen here.)