All bacterial contamination in the village’s water has been eliminated, and residents can now stop boiling it before drinking.
According to an announcement on Seyðisfjörður’s home page, repairs were made to a nearby water treatment plant. Soon thereafter, inspections showed that the village’s drinking water is once again bacteria free.
As reported, officials announced yesterday that bacterial contamination was detected in the drinking water. This contamination was the result of a malfunction at a nearby water treatment plant.
Residents were advised to boil their water before drinking it – especially if the water was intended for children, the elderly or the infirmed.
Most troubling, the contamination, detected on January 28, was from a sample taken on January 17. Seyðisfjörður mayor Vilhjálmur Jónsson told reporters that the situation is unacceptable. He has demanded that new equipment be set up so that any contamination in the water will issue an immediate alert – not one days or weeks after the fact.
Buy subscriptions, t-shirts and more from our shop right here!