Tourist Badly Burned At Geysir - The Reykjavik Grapevine

Tourist Badly Burned At Geysir

Published January 25, 2016

Photo by
Art Bicnick

A tourist was badly burned at Geysir when he inadvertently stepped directly into an exposed hot spring.

South Iceland police posted today their major casework for the past week. This included a tourist badly burning himself when he stepped into a hot spring at Geysir. He was transported by ambulance to the health clinic in Selfoss to treat his burns.

Visitors to Geysir are advised to stay only on the clearly marked footpaths through the hot spring area. Even taking this precaution, however, can lead to trouble, as gusts of wind can spray the erupting scalding hot water onto spectators.

Safety measures have long been a concern at Geysir. Garðar Eiríksson, a spokesperson for the landowners of the site, told Vísir last year that events such as this are very rare, but he put the blame on the Icelandic government for the lack of precautionary measures.

“We have emphasised that we want safety measures taken in the area that are in keeping with the increase of visitors,” he told reporters. “The minority owners – that is, the Icelandic government – do not agree with us. As long as we are not granted more funding, we cannot improve the situation.”

Until such time as these measures, in whatever form they may take, are implemented, visitors should watch their step through the hot spring area, and be aware of wind direction when waiting to see an eruption.

Support The Reykjavík Grapevine!
Book your day tours in Iceland right here!

Go travel with Grapevine tried and recommended tours by Grapevine. Fund Grapevine journalism by booking with us.


Show Me More!