I’ve always loved dome or bubble based movies: BioDome, Bubble Boy…or any movie involving a viral outbreak and subsequent quarantine. There is something alluring about life in a bubble. To be in a bubble is complete bliss—immersed in reality, but protected by a thin layer or lens, making you merely an observer. Also, it makes your voice sound the way it does in the shower.
Basically, everything is better in a bubble—except farts and morning breath (but they aren’t that great in any enclosure, bubble or otherwise).
Buubble is Iceland’s only hotel in a bubble. You can sleep out amongst the stars and northern lights, or feel the heat from the midnight sun glancing the horizon. But before you book your bubble bed, here’s a few recommendations about what to bring and places to see.
What You Need:
- Star Maps–well, you’ll need this if there will actually be stars. If you’re going in the summer, just enjoy the light.
- Portable Sound System–nothing too big. You’re not there to burst the bubble. I really enjoyed listening to “The Black Tapes” podcast, while staring into the darkness of the night. But if horror podcasts aren’t your thing, try telling your own ghost story. If it’s summer time, bring a book. It’s one helluva reading lamp.
- Comfortable Pyjamas–the bathroom is outside the bubble, so you may need to go in and out a few times, and that can get chilly.
- Water, Snacks and Disposable Face Wipes–once you’re out there, you’re on your own. It’s wonderful, but don’t forget to have a couple bottles of water and some little snacks. The bathroom is an outhouse, so bring along some disposable face wipes.
Some Great Places Nearby To Add To Your Trip
1. Friðheimer: a geothermal greenhouse and restaurant that specialises in tomatoes. Enjoy tomato soup and the best Bloody Mary in Iceland. I love seeing the inner-workings of a geothermal greenhouse.
2. Cafe Mika: It’s a great place for a coffee or, in the summer, an outside wood-fire pizza!
The map is the direction to these places from Reykjavík. To avoid disturbing people in the bubble, its location is kept secret (spoiler: It’s near Reykholt).
To book your night in the Buubble, check out www.buubble.is
Buy subscriptions, t-shirts and more from our shop right here!