Dog Saves People From Apartment Fire - The Reykjavik Grapevine

Dog Saves People From Apartment Fire

Published September 13, 2013

An as yet unnamed dog was responsible for saving the lives of possibly dozens of people when a fire broke out in an apartment building in Hafnarfjörður last night.
Morgunblaðið reports that fire broke out in an apartment building in Hafnarfjörður at 2:07 this morning. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find a strong blaze roaring in a ground floor apartment, with its residents – three human adults and one dog – waiting outside.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze, and then noticed there were no smoke detectors in the apartment. It then came to light that the residents only escaped the blaze thanks to the dog, who began barking as the fire spread, waking the humans, who safely escaped.
The fire department captain told reporters that the residents have the dog to thank for their lives, as they only narrowly escaped being consumed in the blaze. The fire, which began in the bathroom of the apartment, was quickly extinguished. None of the residents were injured, although there was considerable damage done to the apartment.
The Grapevine feels obliged to remind people that, despite this news, dogs are no substitute for an actual smoke detector, and we encourage our readers who do not have one to get one as soon as they can.

Support The Reykjavík Grapevine!
Book your day tours in Iceland right here!

Next:
Previous:


Go travel with Grapevine tried and recommended tours by Grapevine. Fund Grapevine journalism by booking with us.


Show Me More!