Molluscs At Risk From Toxic Algae - The Reykjavik Grapevine

Molluscs At Risk From Toxic Algae

Published July 9, 2010

The Marine Research Institute of Iceland has found toxic algae in Breiðafjörður near Flatey and Stykkishólmur, and Hvalfjörður near Hvammsvík.
According to Vísir, The Marine Research Institute of Iceland claims that mussels and shellfish are at significant risk for infection from the poisonous algae.  The Institute warns that molluscs, particularly near Breiðafjörður, are especially at risk due to the high concentrations of algae in the area and are unfit for consumption.  Ingestion of these mussels and shellfish can cause paralysis if infected by the toxic algae.
Photo courtesy of Vísir.

Support The Reykjavík Grapevine!
Book your day tours in Iceland right here!

Next:
Previous:


Go travel with Grapevine tried and recommended tours by Grapevine. Fund Grapevine journalism by booking with us.


Show Me More!