A place of worship has existed on this site since 1200 AD. The current church was completed in 1796 and has since played an important role in Icelandic history. It was here that sovereignty and independence were first blessed and endorsed by the church, and where Iceland’s national anthem (actually a hymn) was first sung in 1874. Since 1845, members and cabinet ministers of every Alþing parliament have gathered here for a service before the annual session.
Buy subscriptions, t-shirts and more from our shop right here!