The best Icelandic film in my opinion is Georg Lifandi Lag (George Live Song), a short film made by the production group Lortur and portrayed an Icelandic karaoke singer who dreams of fame and fortune in his chosen field. He heads off to Denmark to make it on the karaoke scene. This is one of the funnier shorts I´ve seen. Everyone´s acting is astoundingly good and the idea is good and well executed, and even if it is somewhat raw in parts it works very well, again primarily because of the humour. I don´t particularly like writing long treatises on films that I´ve seen, they´re either good or bad…and this was good. It would be fun to see this made into a full length feature one day. This is my top 8 list, but like all lists it changes from day to day and depending on the mood.
1. Georg Lifandi Lag. Short film by Lortur.
2. Varði Does Europe. Documentary by Grímur Hákonarsson.
3. Lost Weekend. Short film and graduation project
by Dagur Kári (director of Nói Albínói)
4. Rokk í Reykjavík. Documentary by Friðrik Þór.
5. Amtmannsstígur 5. Short film by Jón Sæmundur.
6. Verði fer á vertíð Documentary by Grímur Hákonarson.
7. Klósettmenning. (Toilet Culture) Short film by Rúnar Rúnarsson
8. Burst. Short film by Reynir Lyngdal.
Book your day tours in Iceland right here!