The DesignMarch festival wraps up on Sunday, so make sure you take the opportunity this weekend to check out some of the amazing work Iceland’s designers have produced.
- Sock design workshop for kids – 27th June 12:00-17:00 – Let your kids creativity run wild in a special workshop run by Mói – socks with the children’s designs will be manufactured later in the year and sold to raise money for children’s charities.
- Grand opening of Nordic Angan’s Icelandic Nature Fragrance Library – opening party 27th June 12:00-17:00 –
- Catch of the Day: Limited COVID-19 guided studio tour – 27th June 18:00-19:00 – Björn Steinar converts food waste into hand sanitiser, crazy right? Wanna know how? Head along to his studio
- Ýrúrarí’s Sweater Sauce fashion show – 27th June 15:00-15:30 – Ýrúrarí is a rising star in the Icelandic design scene, receiving international recognition for her wacky knitted designs, this show is not one to be missed.
- Hönnunar Happy Hour – June 27th-28th – 17:00 -19:00 – work by Studio Alvara, Studio Flétta and Védís Pálsdóttir all in one handy location.
- Bonus tip – head to Laugavegur to spot some eye-catching window displays – Signý Jónsdóttir has curated an amazing pop-up exhibition of designers’ work in empty storefronts across the city’s centre
We recently caught up with DesignMarch’s new director, Þórey Einarsdóttir to discuss the creative ways in which Iceland’s designers are overcoming the obstacles of the COVID-19 era. Over 80% of designers were forced to change their plans when the festival was postponed, but circumstances have promoted some amazing innovations.
The full programme of events and a map of exhibtions is available on the DesignMarch website.
Note: Due to the effect the Coronavirus is having on tourism in Iceland, it’s become increasingly difficult for the Grapevine to survive. If you enjoy our content and want to help the Grapevine’s journalists do things like eat and pay rent, please consider joining our High Five Club.
You can also support us by checking out our shop, loaded with books, apparel and other cool merch, that you can buy and have delivered right to your door.
Buy subscriptions, t-shirts and more from our shop right here!