Published January 20, 2011
Sigur Rós – Takk (2007) Takk received critical acclaim here, there and everywhere, went gold and made everyone sit up and take notice… again.
FM Belfast – How To Make Friends (2008) An album that has been known to cause people to actually run down the street in their underwear. If this isn’t music with a positive influence then İ don’t know what is.
Emiliana Torrini – Fisherman’s Woman (2005) Fisherman’s Woman made folk-lovers all over sit up and take notice and is just a really sweet album in general.
Agent Fresco – Lightbulb Universe (2008) Everyone knew the lyrics before the album was even released. It goes without saying that this was one of the albums of the new millenium.
Mugison – Mugimama: Is This Monkey Music? (2004) The multi-talented Mugisson has influence near and far and his 2004 album permanently placed him on the music map.
Bergrún Anna Hallsteinsdóttir’s Favourite Albums Of 2010
1. Orphic Oxtra – Orphic Oxtra They brought the sound of the Balkans to Iceland and injected the music scene with a much-needed dose of difference.
2. Ólafur Arnalds – ‘And they have escaped the weight of darkness’ Ólafur Arnalds wins at creating classical music that the kids can appreciate.
3. Retro Stefson – Kimbabwe Kimbawe brought some much needed positivity to these dark times.
4. Hjaltalín og Sinfó – Alpanon The symphony/band combo took Hjaltalín’s sound to new places with Alpanon.
5. Samúel Jón Samúelsson Big Band – Helvítis fokking fönk They made the year that much funkier for Iceland as a whole.