yesterday the Special Prosecutor is pressing charges against former executives and administrators of filed bank Kaupþing (now Arion) and Landsbanki.
Fifteen individuals are being charged, 6 from Landsbanki and the remaining 9 from Kaupþing. They stand accused of manipulating the market in the lead up to the financial collapse of 2008 and artificially boosting the value of the banks.
The Landsbanki administrators being charged are:
- Sigurjón Þ. Árnason, director of Landsbanki
- Sigríður Elín Sigfúsdóttir, Director of Corporate Accounts
- Ívar Guðjónsson, director of proprietary trading
- Steinþór Gunnarsson, brokerage director
- Júlíus Steinar Heiðarsson, broker
- Sindri Sveinsson, broker
The Kaupþing executives being charged are:
- Sigurður Einarsson, Chairman
- Hreiðar Már Sigurðsson, CEO of Kaupþing Group
- Ingólfur Helgason, Director of Kaupþing Iceland
- Magnús Guðmundsson, Head of Kaupþing Luxembourg
- Bjarki Diego, Director of Corporate banking
- Björk Þórarinsdóttir, Credit Committee member and Kaupþing corporate employee
- Einar Pálmi Sigmundsson, Director of proprietary trading
- Birnir Sær Björnsson, private business stock broker
- Pétur Kristinn Guðmarsson, private business stock broker
Fun fact: as RÚV reports
three of the executives being charged for their illegal activities while with Kaupþing have been working for Arion Bank. They are Birnir Sær Björnsson, Pétur Kristinn Guðmarsson and Björk Þórarinsdóttir. Björk is the Director of Corporate Accounts at Arion, though she and her two colleagues have now taken leave from their positions.